We all have fragile items that we wouldn’t want to be damaged during the moving process. Many of these items have specific packing requirements to ensure that they arrive safely and intact at your new home. Here is a guide for safely packing your fragile items for moving:
Choose the most effective packing supplies
The right packing supplies directly impact the safety of your fragile belongings and their ability to arrive without any damage to your new home.
Here are the three most important supplies to take into consideration for packing your fragile items for moving:
Use original packaging or new boxes for all fragile items. The structural integrity of a box is vitally important to protecting your fragile items. It’s also important to ensure that the cardboard boxes are of good quality, strong and dry.
A good amount of soft white packing paper is important to have on hand when packing fragile items, as it provides additional protective layers when packing your items.
Bubble wrap is one of the best materials to provide an extra layer of protection to your fragile items.
Best strategies to pack specific items
Here is a list of some common fragile items and the best way to protect them while moving:
- Framed art – the best way to pack art is to use picture boxes that fit framed paintings of any size. Use lots of packing paper and bubble wrap to create cushions inside of your boxes.
- Jewelry – pack your rings into pill boxes, separate your necklaces into individual plastic bags to prevent them from tangling and stick your earrings into a piece of thin foam, so you won’t lose any.
- Electronics – if possible, pack your electronics in the original box they came in. If those aren’t available, use static-free bubble wrap to bundle them before they go into boxes.
- Antique furniture – use moving blankets to protect the surface, legs and arms of the furniture. An additional layer of lace bubble wrap around the furniture will add further protection.
- Other fragile items – specific fragile items may need customized boxes to keep them safe. Speak with a moving company about your best options.
When your fragile items are well-protected, your entire moving process will run more smoothly. Hiring a quality mover that will take care of your precious items can ease your mind that your fragile items are protected.
Another great option would be to buy insurance that specifically protects these items or move your fragile items in your own vehicle to ensure you know their whereabouts at all times.
If you have any further questions or need a hand in moving, contact us today and our team of professional movers can give you an estimate. To learn more about what you can expect on moving day, read our full guide here.